Author Topic: Installation questions for first-timers  (Read 1525 times)

Johnk42

• View Profile
Installation questions for first-timers
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:44 am »
In another thread I mentioned that I had problems entering my email address half way through the install. I've since created a new droplet at DigitalOcean and the the new install was fine.

It does raise a couple items that people like myself who are new to linux may need some help with:

You recommend that we do an unattended setup and I can see why. Soon after selecting that option, we're asked if we want to install extra programs such as a virus checker and I selected Yes. I was surprised to find that the reasonably quick install procedure slowed down to a crawl while the main and daily virus tables were being installed. This actually took over 90 minutes and I began to wonder; "Is it really worth it?"  Once the tables were finally loaded the installation process did continue at a rapid pace. However, it did take close on two hours, which I blame entirely to the virus table downloads.

I assume these protective measures are necessary in a live environment, but if someone only wishes to evaluate the script, can they skip the question about additional programs and save themselves a long wait?

When the panel is finally installed, there's lots of options to choose from. Most are self explanatory, but one has me confused. As it turns out, it's a feature I probably want the most.

In the Utilities section on the default screen, there's a link to Extplorer File Manager. When the link is clicked, a message appears saying  "Unauthorised, try again". I'm aware that Extplorer is a third party offering, but I couldn't find anywhere to "switch" it on.

I finally settled on the Sky template, but the Extplorer link isn't even included on that template. That seems to imply that the script may have been removed from the panel in the last year or so.

Is Extplorer included in the download and how can it be incorporated in the panel? I'm sharing the server with another person, also in his mid seventies and the default file manager will be far too complex for him.

Johnk42

• View Profile
Re: Installation questions for first-timers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »
Further to my post above, Extplorer did eventually work on the default template when I finally installed a test domain. It would have been handy to upload the files with Extplorer, but I couldn't get it to fire. Today when I returned to the default template it was working fine.

Extplorer still isn't available with the Sky template which my web partner prefers. Has anyone managed to install it on Sky?

I'm getting used to the default File manager, but my partner isn't impressed.

earnolmartin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Installation questions for first-timers
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »
Extplorer will NOT work for the user logged into EHCP until an FTP account is created for that user in the panel.  The FTP account for a user is created when the user attempts to add his first domain to the panel.  It makes sense that it would work this way because before the FTP account is created, the user has no access to files or a configured home directory on the server to store files in. 

Extplorer is a standalone web file manager that is installed globally with the panel.  It can be accessed from any theme by using the URL.  If it's missing in a theme, you can easily add it by modifying the templates and adding the proper hyperlink code based on where you want it to go.

The picante theme is the most up-to-date theme in EHCP Force Edition.  With EHCP Force Edition now being on GitHub, you can make the changes to the other theme's template yourself, create a pull request, and then it will get merged into the code.  I don't have time to update the old themes, and quite honestly, a new theme system should be created for EHCP driven by a database... but it's not simple, so this will probably not be done.

Furthermore, it is recommended you use an actual FTP client to upload and download website files.  I recommend the free version of CoreFTP